CHOOSE(index_num, value1, [value2], ...)
The CHOOSE function syntax has the following arguments:
- Index_num Required. Specifies which value argument is selected. Index_num must be a number between 1 and 254, or a formula or reference to a cell containing a number between 1 and 254.
- If index_num is 1, CHOOSE returns value1; if it is 2, CHOOSE returns value2; and so on.
- If index_num is less than 1 or greater than the number of the last value in the list, CHOOSE returns the #VALUE! error value.
- If index_num is a fraction, it is truncated to the lowest integer before being used.
- Value1, value2, ... Value 1 is required, subsequent values are optional. 1 to 254 value arguments from which CHOOSE selects a value or an action to perform based on index_num. The arguments can be numbers, cell references, defined names, formulas, functions, or text.
- If index_num is an array, every value is evaluated when CHOOSE is evaluated.
- The value arguments to CHOOSE can be range references as well as single values.
For example, the formula:
=SUM(CHOOSE(2,A1:A10,B1:B10,C1:C10))p> evaluates to: =SUM(B1:B10)
which then returns a value based on the values in the range B1:B10.
The CHOOSE function is evaluated first, returning the reference B1:B10. The SUM function is then evaluated using B1:B10, the result of the CHOOSE function, as its argument.
We can use index_num to return a value from the list of value arguments. For example, if value1 through value7 are the days of the week, CHOOSE returns one of the days when a number between 1 and 7 is used as index_num. Use CHOOSE to select one of up to 254 values based on the index number.
=CHOOSE(index_num, "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday", "Saturday", "Sunday")
The argument index_num is between 1 to 7, if the index_num is 1, then result is Monday.u
CHOOSE Function can be used as an alternative to IF Function. If we want to use IF Function in the above formula, the formula can be written as:
=IF(A2=1, "Monday", IF(A2=2, "Tuesday", IF(A2=3, "Wednesday", IF(A2=4, "Thursday", IF(A2=5, "Friday", IF(A2=6, "Saturday", "Sunday"))))))
In the above scenarios the result of both functions is same.