MID returns a specific number of characters from a text string, starting at the position you specify, based on the number of characters you specify.
MID(text, start_num, num_chars)
The MID function syntax has the following arguments:
- Text Required. The text string containing the characters you want to extract.
- Start_num Required. The position of the first character you want to extract in text. The first character in text has start_num 1, and so on.
- If start_num is greater than the length of text, MID returns "" (empty text).
- If start_num is less than the length of text, but start_num plus num_chars exceeds the length of text, MID returns the characters up to the end of text.
- If start_num is less than 1, MID returns the #VALUE! error value.
- Num_chars Required for MID. Specifies the number of characters you want MID to return from text.
- If num_chars is negative, MID returns the #VALUE! error value.